A great day as a teacher is seeing growth and a love for learning from my students. I want to see my students love what we are doing and make wonderful connections at the same time. In addition to my elementary classroom duties, I teach small groups of students with dyslexia and use my training as a language therapist to help give them the tools to succeed in school.
Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+4% (slower than the average)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education Do
Teach academic and social skills to students at the elementary school level.
Other Job Titles Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education May Have
Classroom Teacher, Elementary School Teacher, Elementary Teacher, Teacher
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
No two days as a teacher are ever the same. In a single day, I plan and teach lessons, differentiate instruction, give students feedback, grade papers, answer emails, attend meetings, and more!
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students.
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests.
- Instruct students individually and in groups, using teaching methods such as lectures, discussions, and demonstrations.
- Confer with parents or guardians, teachers, counselors, and administrators to resolve students' behavioral and academic problems.
- Prepare students for later grades by encouraging them to explore learning opportunities and to persevere with challenging tasks.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.