I work with a lot of students who grow up in stressful environments, are angry with their home lives and don't know how to express it. I support the creation of new school partnerships. I lead a team of seven corps members through the City Year experience through observation and feedback sessions, biweekly check-in meetings, and general coaching, while performing the duties of a Corps Member.
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+14.5% (faster than the average)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Tutors Do
Instruct individual students or small groups of students in academic subjects to support formal class instruction or to prepare students for standardized or admissions tests.
Other Job Titles Tutors May Have
Academic Coach, Academic Guidance Specialist, Professional Tutor, Tutor
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Provide feedback to students, using positive reinforcement techniques to encourage, motivate, or build confidence in students.
- Review class material with students by discussing text, working solutions to problems, or reviewing worksheets or other assignments.
- Assess students' progress throughout tutoring sessions.
- Teach students study skills, note-taking skills, and test-taking strategies.
- Provide private instruction to individual or small groups of students to improve academic performance, improve occupational skills, or prepare for academic or occupational tests.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.