John DeMelis

John DeMelis

Partner, Americas Professional Practice – Audit


New York, NY USA

What we’re doing and how we’re doing it changes every day through the increased use of tools and technologies. So, the ability to adapt and to keep up is important to succeed.


My road in life took a while to figure out.
I initially thought I wanted to be an engineer (as I was always good in math). But before heading off to college, I decided that I was not going to go that route.
I went to college not knowing what I wanted to do and took my first accounting class as a freshman. I had two professors that were both lawyers and CPAs, which sounded intriguing to me.
I took the CPA exam and the LSAT. I passed all four parts of the CPA exam but did miserably on the LSATs – the rest is history!
Keep following my journey


Partner, Americas Professional Practice – Audit

I lead a team that develops and provides guidance on the use of tools and technology in our audits.

Career Roadmap

My work combines:
My work combines:
Problem Solving

Day to Day

About 80% of my time is focused on internal projects where my team and I develop audit methodology tools and enablers to help our people in the field perform quality audits. The other 20% is spent serving clients. So, a typical day comprises elements of both of these roles. For example, today I read about innovative technologies that my team is working on, then spent time on client questions for a large global account.

Advice for Getting Started

Here's the first step for college students

Start building your network and developing relationships as early on as possible. One way to do that is through an internship, even if it's not 100% tied to your field of interest, because it will give you experience and relationships you can build on.

Recommended Education

My career is related to what I studied. I'd recommend the path I took:

Certified Public Accountant (CPA)


The Noise I Shed

From Friends:

"It’s not so much criticism or discouragement, but I’ve heard many say being a CPA must be so boring. I still hear that."