I arrive early at the assigned classroom and review classroom procedures and the lesson plans. I greet the students when they arrive. I introduce myself. I give the students that their teacher assign. I monitor the class and give assistance when needed. Sometimes I teach the lesson; this often occurs with students in the early grades.
Substitute Teachers, Short-Term
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+8.2% (as fast as the average)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Substitute Teachers, Short-Term Do
Teach students on a short-term basis as a temporary replacement for a regular classroom teacher, typically using the regular teacher's lesson plan.
Other Job Titles Substitute Teachers, Short-Term May Have
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Answer students' questions.
- Assist students with boarding or exiting school buses.
- Attend professional meetings, educational conferences, or teacher training workshops to improve professional competence.
- Counsel students with adjustment or academic problems.
- Distribute or collect tests or homework assignments.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.