Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+1.6% (little or no change)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Transportation Planners Do
Prepare studies for proposed transportation projects. Gather, compile, and analyze data. Study the use and operation of transportation systems. Develop transportation models or simulations.
Other Job Titles Transportation Planners May Have
Planner, Transportation Analyst, Transportation Planner
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Recommend transportation system improvements or projects, based on economic, population, land-use, or traffic projections.
- Define regional or local transportation planning problems or priorities.
- Participate in public meetings or hearings to explain planning proposals, to gather feedback from those affected by projects, or to achieve consensus on project designs.
- Design transportation surveys to identify areas of public concern.
- Interpret data from traffic modeling software, geographic information systems, or associated databases.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.